HMRC’s ‘Crackdown’ on UK Taxpayers from January 1: What You Need to Know

Photo of author

By Editor

HMRC’s ‘Crackdown’ on UK Taxpayers from January 1: What You Need to Know

HMRC will begin a huge crackdown on millions of UK taxpayers on January 1 in a significant move. With a focus on people who are self-employed or have side businesses, this effort tries to combat tax dodging. You may learn all the important facts and ramifications of this crackdown by reading this comprehensive guide.

What’s Changing?

Popular sites for side jobs, such as Airbnb, Fiverr, Upwork, Uber, Deliveroo, and Etsy, have been ordered by HMRC to start recording their users’ revenues and reporting them to the tax authority as of January 1. This information will be used by HMRC to cross-reference it with user-reported self-assessment income. HMRC can spot inconsistencies and start inquiries as necessary thanks to this cross-checking process.

Does it Affect You?

If you honestly report the money you receive from using these platforms, this rule change won’t have a significant impact on you. However, you can experience consequences if you don’t declare or underreport your profits to HMRC.

The Scale of the Issue

There are more than four million legally recognized self-employed people in the UK. In 2023, 44% of Britons will have at least one side business, according to a study by the job portal Finder. HMRC aims to hire 24 full-time employees and almost £37 million for this program in order to implement these regulations.

Seb Maley’s observations

The CEO of Qdos, a company that offers tax insurance for independent contractors, Seb Maley, emphasizes the importance of this legislation. He argues that HMRC made this choice because it didn’t have faith that people would honestly declare the income from their side jobs. HMRC is working with side hustle platforms to take control of recording and disseminating this information in order to solve this. HMRC is able to launch tax investigations if there are any inconsistencies by comparing this data with tax returns.

Self-Assessment Tax: What You Need to Know

HMRC uses the self-assessment method to collect tax from people who do not have it deducted from their paychecks automatically. You must register as self-employed and submit your income to HMRC if you take on additional employment in addition to your principal job and make £1,000 or more in a tax year. You must afterward pay tax on this income.

Reasons for Self-Assessment Registration

You should register for self-assessment if:

  • Your self-employment income exceeds £1,000
  • You make over £2,500 a year by renting out properties.
  • Your taxable income is more than £2,500.
  • You got a P800 from HMRC that said you didn’t pay enough taxes the previous year.
  • Self-employment documentation is necessary for things like Tax-Free Childcare.
  • To be eligible for benefits, you intend to make voluntary Class 2 National Insurance payments.

Other scenarios could also require self-assessment registration. HMRC gives a questionnaire to ascertain your precise needs and offers a number of registration options to fit your circumstances.


Due to the big future changes from HMRC, it is essential for self-employed people and people who have side businesses to make sure their tax affairs comply with the new regulations. HMRC penalties could result if you don’t comply with their request.

HMRC’s ‘Crackdown’ on UK Taxpayers FAQs

When do the updated HMRC regulations take effect?

The brand-new guidelines will take effect on January 1st.

Who will these modifications impact?

The self-employed and people who have side businesses are the main targets of these measures.

What are the repercussions of failing to report earnings from a side business?

HMRC may conduct a tax investigation if side hustle earnings are not declared or are reported insufficiently.

How can I find out if I have to sign up for self-assessment?

To assist you in deciding if you need to register for self-assessment, HMRC offers a quiz.

What should I do if I have to sign up for self-evaluation?

You can enroll online or call the self-assessment helpdesk at 0300 200 3310 if you need to.

Deixe um comentário